A headline on WLWT – A Soaking, Wind-Driven Rain to Drench Cincinnati Area – notes heavy overnight rain and will linger through most of the day today remnants of Hurricane Zeta passes to our south. The article describes that:
“…the system will interact with a stationary front currently in place to deliver a wind-driven, soaking and chilly rain to the area. Around 1 to 2 inches of rain is expected by the end of Thursday, with isolated areas seeing up to 3 inches of rain.”
Unfortunately, situations like this can combine with clogged gutters, leaking roofs, and failed sump pumps and lead to flooding and water damage. If you find yourself in this situation, it is important to know how to handle it safely. And safely is the key word. It is natural to immediately think about rushing to prevent personal belongings from getting wet but there are serious risks to keep in mind. First, the water could be in contact with sources of electricity which is extremely dangerous. Second, the water could be contaminated. It is also important to remember to keep curious children and pets out of the area. With those considerations in mind…
Water Damage Restoration Tips
- Act quickly. The CDC recommends cleaning up and drying out your home or business thoroughly and quickly (within 24–48 hours) after flooding.
- Check your coverage. Find out what your insurance company will cover. (Or, better yet, let us help you. Extra Effort has over 35 of experience in water damage restoration and can work directly with your insurance company.)
- Hire professionals. As noted by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), “professionals have the knowledge and equipment to further dry a home or facility (including substructure materials) completely back to pre-loss conditions.”
- Remove excess water, if it’s safe. As long as there are no safety hazards, mop up excess water from floors and wipe down surfaces. Be very careful with any electrical appliances and never use a household vacuum.
- Get the air moving. Extra Effort uses industrial air movers and dehumidifiers to dry wet carpet, baseboards and walls. In most cases, this can restore them to their original condition.
- Monitor and control. Extra Effort uses state-of-the-art moisture-detecting equipment and only effective, safe bacteria control agents.
Below is a printer-friendly guide covering these key steps.
Hopefully, today’s rain will be nothing more eventful than a cool, dreary day here in West Chester. And to help keep future storms from becoming an issue, here are some preventative maintenance steps to prevent water damage in your home.
No one likes to clean their gutters. It’s arduous work that usually involves hauling around heavy ladders, working up in the air, and scooping muck. A disagreeable task to say the least. However, it’s important to understand that properly working gutters are vital for moving water away from where it can do damage as a storm much less intense than what we recently saw can deposit 600 to 2,800 gallons of water on your roof, depending on its size. While the weather is still nice, consider these tips for cleaning and repairing gutters.
Sump Pump Maintenance
While your gutters work above your house, sump pumps (if you have one) move excess water from around your foundation. Regular maintenance for a sump pump is just as important as that for gutters but, luckily, less demanding.
The Sump & Sewage Pump Manufacturers Association has a good brochure with tips. The first step is to remove any dirt and debris from the pit surrounding the pump. This will help reduce wear and increase efficiency, which will help your pump last longer. The second step is to simply pour in enough water to cycle the pump on. Testing your sump pump on a regular basis will let you know if there’s a problem before you need it.
When Nature Wins
Of course, even with the best planning things sometimes go wrong. If you find yourself with an issue, we have more than 35 years of experience with water damage restoration. We have the expertise and resources to:
- Pull back carpets and remove carpet padding
- Cut out damaged drywall and remove damaged baseboards
- Employ powerful water extraction systems, industrial air movers, and dehumidifiers
- Apply safe and effective antimicrobial agents to protect your home
- Install new padding and install/replace carpet
- Install and paint both drywall and baseboards
Our technicians are trained to address important issues including mold, mildew, stain, and moisture removal. We use state-of-the-art moisture-detecting equipment and safe bacteria control agents to do everything possible to minimize the loss. As a father/son company we offer personalized service with large-company capabilities to ensure that your home is safe and whole.
We have been serving Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky since 1984. Located in West Chester, we are a local company committed to building long-term relationships with local residents and businesses.
Our A+ BBB Rating and IICRC Certification means you can trust us to do a professional job. The fact that we are a father/son owned and operated business means you can trust you will receive personalized service.
Call us today at (513) 777-8770 to learn more about our water damage restoration and water extraction services.
Elliott S. Fishman, Co-Owner
Extra Effort Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning, Inc.
About Elliott S. Fishman
Elliott Fishman, along with his son Brian, is the owner and operator of Extra Effort Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning, Inc. We serve the residents and businesses of Greater Cincinnati to include West Chester, Mason, Maineville, Loveland, Wyoming, Fairfield, Indian Hill, Montgomery, Hyde Park and Anderson Township. Elliott started this company in 1984, based on the belief that it takes Extra Effort to make each job a success. The father/son team puts the extra time, extra care, and extra effort go into every task they undertake – no matter how large or small the job. Extra Effort’s quality equipment, trained technicians and safe products have made the company a top choice for residential and commercial carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, water damage / water extraction, fabric protection, odor control and spot removal.